Thursday 26 April 2012

The Story Of Ginny.


I've had a few people ask me which breeder I got Ginny from, to which I reply she's actually a rescue dog and leave it at that, how I got her isn't really an interesting topic and because I'm lazy I usually avoid going into detail about it, it also generally makes me a bit sad thinking about it. I figured now I've made this blog it would be a good idea to go into a bit more detail about the four legged munchkin.

I was volunteering at Templewood kennels in 2008, a privately run boading kennels for dogs whose owners were going on holiday and they needed their dogs looking after while they were away, it was also a place to house working dogs (drug and bomb sniffer dogs) while they were taking a break from working. It wasn't a rescue center, just a private boarding kennel. I'd been there for about 3 months when my boss who owned the kennels phoned the main office saying she'd just driven past a dog chained up to a gate next to a busy motorway and she was going to bring the dog in and then call the RSPCA (Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) to come and pick the dog up from us. My boss drove up in the company van and brought out this incredibly skinny thing that is now known as Ginny. She carried Ginny into the main office and sat her down on several blankets by the desk while she made phone calls to people who were properly trained to come and pick Ginny up. Me and several people that worked at the kennels instantly loved Ginny. Ginny was terrified of us all (and I don't blame her, I'd be terrified of a group of adults going "AWWW POOR PUPPY" at me) so she hid behind several office chairs and refused to move. There were a few things visibly wrong with Ginny, she had green gunge all around her eyes, marks on her back and marks on her legs. I hate to think how she got those marks that were on her body at the time. Me and my friend stayed with Ginny in the office, eventually Ginny came out from hiding, we tried giving her food but she refused it. After a while Ginny calmed down and took turns being cuddled and generally squealed over by me and my friend.

I'd wanted a dog for a while but never really put much thought into getting one, I told my friend I wanted to take this dog home, she just said "well, why don't you?". That was a good enough reason for me. I told my boss I was thinking of just taking "that skinny dog" home, she wasn't happy about it. She'd been on the phone to her brother who lived in Ireland, and he wanted her to call the RSPCA and tell them not to bother about picking the dog up because he was going to drive down and take it back to Ireland to train her as a hunting dog. I didn't like that (now I laugh thinking about it, Ginny could never be a hunting dog, she wouldn't even hurt a fly) but I really didn't have much choice, if it wasn't for my friend at the kennels telling me to just "take her" Ginny would be in Ireland now. It was 10 minutes before we were due to go, my friend put a load of blankets in her car, we loaded Ginny in and just drove off as if nothing happened and
we were finished for the day. I never went back to the kennels to volunteer after that day, I was kinda scared that I'd be told to bring Ginny back so she could go to Ireland. According to my friend that still works there, her boss hasn't ever asked about Ginny. We figure she doesn't see much point in asking, she knew we took Ginny and I wasn't ever going to bring her back.

Me and my friend took Ginny to the vets first for a quick check-up, after waiting for half an hour the vet gave Ginny a very, very quick check-up and apart from being under-weight, having bad eczema, gunky eyes and those marks on her body he said she was fine. He covered Ginny in some disgusting cream to sooth the eczema and gave us eye drops. I was told she couldn't get her skin wet for 24 hours after having the cream put on, but of course living in the UK it was raining so for the first day when Ginny went outside I had to follow her with an umbrella. She didn't like the first night at all, we set up a bed for her and my boyfriend used one of his jumpers as a blanket for her (we were seriously not prepared, her food bowl for the first night was an old ice cream tub, not that she cared because she refused to eat) of course she hated the bed we made for her, she wandered around the house and eventually when we woke up we found her asleep on the sofa. Once her eczema treatment was over she had her first bath. She hated me for it. She was a very fussy dog, she still is.

After her first bath, she hiding her disgust for me rather well in this picture.
About a week later Ginny started settling down so we booked another appointment for her at a different vets to check how her eczema and eyes were doing. The vet noticed Ginny had a temperature, after an x-ray he discovered she had problems with her throat due to being chained up to the gate when she was abandoned. Her throat problems were why she was so thin and showing no signs in wanting to eat, in fact the only thing she would eat was Pedigree puppy food that had been blended up, and even then she would only eat a mouthful at a time. I figured she wasn't eating because she was scared, stupid me. Luckily the problem was caught early, and after minor surgery and a lot of rest Ginny was allowed to come back home.
To this day she still prefers blended food, she eats dog biscuits but they have to be small or cut up. The only big things she'll eat are bacon treats. She wears a collar with a name tag and a tag saying she's been micro-chipped, but she won't let you put the leash on her collar. She prefers to walk freely next to us on a walk or occasionally wear a harness.

I get asked sometimes how we came up with the name Ginny, and actually a few weeks after her surgery we still hadn't come up with a name for Ginny, we just called her "puppy", it's so lucky she never got attached to that name. I was round my sisters house and I'd brought "puppy" along, Harry Potter was on TV, my niece told me to call "puppy" Ginny, we liked the name and stuck with it. I have my 8 year old niece to thank for Ginny's name (and J.K Rowling).

After 4 months, Ginny had gained a good amount of weight, her eczema was under control, her eyes were fine. She'd been groomed and generally looked rather spiffing. We took her to the vets again to finish off her first round of shots, we were starting to wonder if Ginny was a pure Jack Russell or not, our vet was pretty certain she was but we've always felt there's something else to Ginny. When we also asked how old she was his answer (at the time in 2008) was "about 15 months old", of course that was 4 years ago so now Ginny is 5(ish).
Chilling out upside down next to me after her first ever grooming session in the summer of '08 This may look familiar because I've uploaded this picture to Instagram already. There isn't a picture I have of Ginny that hasn't already been uploaded to IG.

As for the person that abandoned Ginny, we'll never know who they were. I only hope whoever it was doesn't own any pets currently and never owns any pets in the future. Ginny has no problems with other dogs or other people, she's rather social, luckily that idiot that abandoned her didn't have any influence on how Ginny sees new people in her life. As far as I see it, whoever left her chained to the fence crying and scared by the side of the road made the biggest mistake of their life, because she would have been one of the best things in their life. Now it turns out she's one of the best things in mine.


57 comments:

  1. Truly touching story... Thank you for saving Ginny and sharing her "kingdom" with us on Instagram! She's lucky to have a servent like you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. I'm very lucky to be her servant!

      Delete
    2. I follow Ginny in IG. My respects to you for taking care of her and for doing all that you do. She's a beautiful dog and she's very lucky to have you :)

      Delete
  2. Lovely story. Ginny deserves you and you deserves her. Life can be hard sometimes, but is perfect after all, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank u Chelsea /hugs! I'm so glad u stole Ginny!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I was wondering if anyone would realise that I technically stole Ginny. Thank you *hugs*

      Delete
  4. It is so sad how some people treat animals. I'm glad you were able to rescue her before it was too late. It sounds like both of your lives are better for it. One of my dogs is a rescue dog. Her previous owners kicked her out because they wanted a full bred chihuahua, and my dog is some kind of terrier mix. When I found her, there was barely a place on her I could touch that did not have a tick. It broke my heart and I scooped her up immediately and took her home. I could not imagine life without her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry to hear that, but yet it makes me happy hearing you've rescued her and she has a loving home now. Thank you :)

      Delete
  5. Thank you for sharing Ginny's story. Whoever abandoned her should be chained to a gate and starved, with a few beatings thrown in for a while to see how he likes it. I'm so glad you took her. Not only does she have a wonderful life now, but she's also a celebrity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you kindly :) I completely agree too, I'd like to see whoever put her through these things chained to a fence too.

      Delete
  6. Thats such a lovely story!!! Youre Ginnys hero!! If tou hadnt taken her god knows where she would be now!! So glad she has the life she does now! Yay for Ginny :] x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Im glad u rescued Ginny! She has an amazing life with u now.,, things happen for a reason. And like the person above said, she is now a celebrity and is loved by so many ppl!!

    @delena1022

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Chelsea! Thanks for providing a tear and a grin! It's so sad to hear how people can be so cruel but it's wonderful to hear that a hero like you has rescued someone like Ginny!

    It's nice to read the story of our pets. One of these days I'll get around to posting mine. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! You should definitely post your pets story, I would love to read it.

      Delete
  9. Hey Chelsea. Wonderful story to start your blog. We all love Ginny and it's so very heartwarming as to how you came to love her. You were meant to save her, stay together and share your story with the world. As one of your IG friends, I wish you luck with the blog. I do find it hysterical that you didn't go back to the job after absconding Ginny! LOL! All the more better for us all!
    From @bcitygirls(Brenda and Chanel)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, well I was scared stupid, I didn't want my former boss demanding I bring Ginny back :D

      And hope you and Chanel are having a great day.

      Delete
  10. Thank you for your blog.Im Japanese,and Im not good at English.But I will enjoy your blog.I Pray that every animals can live their happy life someday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chelsea! What a great pleasure read your blog and, on this post, Ginny's history. I really love the Instagram photos. Every time I see Ginny and read your comments above them, I smile and fell happy. I'm sorry about my poor English, but I'd just wanted to write and tell you that what you did for this little beautiful puppy was sensational.

    Vida, my only dog now (I used to have 3, but unfortunately 2 of my darlings died 2 years ago), was rescued too. Your story reminded me about mine. So sad that people still do that kind of thing with sweet and warmless animals like Ginny and Vida. But we are the lucky ones that adopted them and now we have their special love in our lives. :)

    Thanks for sharing with us the hapiness of having Ginny in your life.

    A lot of kisses from Brazil from Vida and me (Instagram mo_march).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, and thank you for rescuing animals yourself.

      Hope you're having a great day.

      <3

      Delete
  12. Hi Chelsea! Bravo for starting a blog!! What a great story of how Ginny became part of your life. I'm glad you "kidnap" her! :P she was meant to be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my god Chelsea this is an amazing story! I love you and Ginny! I teared up at work. I am so glad you and Ginny found each other. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Chelsea! Wow! What a story! My dog, Caramelo's story is a bit similar to yours. She's a stray that used to wander around our neighborhood and she'd just given birth to two puppies. She would always walk around my house seeing if I would give her any food but my husband would say "don't do it, ' cause if you do it once, you'll have to do it every day"... And so I did. I know she came from another home and someone threw her away.. But the way I see, as do you, is that it's their loss and my gain! A stray dog is an angel for whomever has the luck of finding one because they are forever thankful that you gave them a chance to make you happy... Thanks for sharing Ginny's story with us!! God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is such a moving story, im nearly in tears (and the only reason there arent actual tears is that im in public and holding them!) rescue dogs are the best. i love all dogs but there is definitely something special dog about saving a dog and watching their evolution from scared to happy. my parents have 5 dogs, 2 of them rescue dogs. these dogs were hanging out near their house and my mum had to wait about a month (!) giving them food and gaining their trust before being able to take them in! now they are healthy and happy and although all the dogs are very loving, the rescue dogs are the most loving of all... the way they look at my mum is priceless, ive never seen such a sweet, pure gratitude look! one of the dogs, although super happy and social still gets scared of sudden gestures, and really scared of sticks :( i guess there are scars that never heal. i still cant have a dog of my own but as soon as i can i will definitely get a rescue dog. i wish i could take them all in. its good to know theres people like you and my mum out there, makind the world a nicer place, one dog at a time. oh and of course, i think ginny is pure cuteness.

    ReplyDelete
  16. you are such a lovely dog ginny. such a lucky one to meet you chelsea who have changes ginny's life :)
    love you ginny. your daily instagram makes me smile wide :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm a big fan of Ginny and you on IG and I think you're one of the best person in this world, really.
    Thinking of the crualty make me sad and sick, I can't understand how it's possible...
    But, thanks to you she has a wonderful Life now, and we all love her !
    Hoping cruelty will stop some day...

    Noideatoday

    ReplyDelete
  18. Poor, poor Ginnypoo! At least she has a nice family now, and all the bacon treats she needs.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a blessing that you have her and she has you! Enjoy a happy life together :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just love her story !!! I'm so happy to know that Ginny has a great life thanks to you! Thank you for sharing her story and pictures! Love them all! Darlene Islas ....darleneis

    ReplyDelete
  21. I loved the story and am glad that Ginny is happy and healthy considering her rocky beginnings. On the subject of her breed: I have a dog that looks VERY similar to Ginny who is half Jack Russell Terrier and half Yorkshire Terrier. She has the same texture to her coat while looking mostly like a rough-coated JRT otherwise. Just a thought!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ginny's pictures on instagram always put a smile on my face no matter how bad a day I'm having, it feels good to see more dog lovers in the world, I have a mini poddle named Daisy and she is my life, I spoile her rotten, I am too her servant, LOL What a nice story is nice to see that she now has a happy life thanks to you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dear Chelsea,
    I'm one of Ginny's many followers on Instagram and was saddened to see that the profile has been deactivated. I dearly hope that both you and Ginny are well. I'm not even sure you will even see this post but I just wanted to say that we are thinking of you both and miss you very much. Especially Ginny's stink eyes after been given a bath or her enjoying her 20th nap of the day. Sending you both love and comfort. Love from your friends in Sydney, 'Alfie the Cairn Terrier' and his human Eva xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eva, I'm trying to find her too.
      (I'm in the states)
      I put a shout out on IG, but no one knows.
      I hope so badly that she's ok.

      Delete
  24. Dear Chelsea

    I had a shock when I could not locate Ginny's Instagram account today. Quite honestly, I almost cried. I have grown to be a big fan of Ginny for a year now and always looked forward to your posts of her, almost Everyday! I hope all is well for you and Ginny. It really got me worried lately when there was no post from you. Really miss Ginny. Please let us know if everything is fine. Hope you can reactivity the account soon.

    Hugs from Singapore,
    KC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too I miss Ginny!! Please let us know about You

      Delete
    2. We're all so worried!!. I sent her a shout out on Instagram and no one seems to know.
      She's become like a daughter to me over here in the states.
      I'm scared that something has happened.

      Delete
  25. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Chelsea... same here. Very worried about you and Ginny. Hoping all is good. Got worried when I realized I hadn't seen Ginny's face in a while, and went to your Instagram and couldn't find it. I hope you are both doing well. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Please let us all know if you are both ok! We miss Ginny and the wonderful way you have of making everyone smile with your 'human' comments! Take care with love Angela UK

    ReplyDelete
  28. Please let us all know if you are both ok! We miss Ginny and the wonderful way you have of making everyone smile with your 'human' comments! Take care with love Angela UK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela, I'm worried about her.
      I sent out a shout out on Instagram to anyone who knows what is going on.
      Scared! I hope Ginny and Chelsea are ok.

      Delete
  29. Hope you and ginny are fine Chelsea. Hugs from Berlin

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hope you and ginny are fine Chelsea. Hugs from Berlin

    ReplyDelete
  31. I've been following Ginny for a couple of years now. I haven't seen her in a while and went looking for her account and she wasn't there. I remember the last post had you saying you weren't well. I hope you and Ginny are okay. I've grown really attached to her. If possible, please let us know what happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I'm scared. It's been way too long. We became such friends over IG. Worried.

      Delete
  32. Chelsea, It's Leslie1877 from IG.
    I'm worried about you.
    We all are.
    Where are you, girl? Are you ok?
    Please, please someone let us know.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Chelsea, I hope both you are Ginny are okay and will return to Instagram soon. You are both loved and missed! Best wishes from Brooklyn, NY - amy pie @shafismom

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi I just want to know if you guys are ok ?
    I haven't see any more post on Instagram and I notice the account it's closed.
    I miss you hope everything is well.
    Lluvia

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi I just want to know if you guys are ok ?
    I haven't see any more post on Instagram and I notice the account it's closed.
    I miss you hope everything is well.
    Lluvia

    ReplyDelete
  36. I'm also saddened that I haven't seen Ginny on IG.today I saw her account is there, but without all of Ginny'S beautiful photos. I hope and pray everything is okay. I love that little cutie Ginny! This is Autumbug23 on IG

    ReplyDelete
  37. I'm also saddened that I haven't seen Ginny on IG.today I saw her account is there, but without all of Ginny'S beautiful photos. I hope and pray everything is okay. I love that little cutie Ginny! This is Autumbug23 on IG

    ReplyDelete
  38. Okay everyone, Chelsea posted on Twitter today that she and Ginny are well and she is sorry for worrying all of us. She said she will soon explain why they're no longer on Instagram. Her Twitter account is @ChessyHope. I believe she posted on Snapchat as well.

    ReplyDelete
  39. what happened to Ginny? I was looking for her yesterday on instagram

    ReplyDelete
  40. Does anybody know about Chelsea and Ginny? 😕

    ReplyDelete